Followers

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pig Out


Hello folks.  We have another challenge at One Stitch At A Time so how about popping over to see all the fabulous creations by the design team.

Challenge #173

Theme ' Favourite Things'

The sponsor this week  CCW with 3 x Promarkers.  To win the main prize you must use a StitchyBear item.  Winner not using a StitchyBear item will win $3 to spend in the store :)

With our challenge theme this week being favourite things I just had to choose a pig digi to work with.  Always having had a soft spot for our very intelligent four legged pals and collecting 'Piggin's' ornaments for several years in the past I will let you know how it all started.  I had only been married a short while and this time was living in Nairobi, Kenya.  Our house was on a corner and was regularly used as a short cut by folks walking around which really annoyed me.  Hubby and I had a couple of dogs but they didn't mind the trespassers so I invested in a piglet who we called Kirsty.  Kirsty was fully house trained in three days, yep intelligent for sure and she continued to live in the house for several more months until she destroyed my kitchen one early morning as I had not given her breakfast in time.  From the house to the outside world she was sent, mind you, she was not far off full grown by this time.  I can hear you asking why on earth would we get a pig as a pet.  All the houses around us had large fences and floodlighting for security but we decided, knowing our native inhabitants were not keen on pigs to get Kirsty instead to ward them off trespassing on our land.  At the same time I let a wee rumor spread that we had been visited by a witch doctor who had put a spell on our land - any trespassers would suffer some hardship etc.  Both ideas, or maybe one or the other certainly worked, all the houses around us were burgled but nobody came near us :)  Alas, poor Kirsty had to find a new home when our daughter was about a year old as she thought she was a dog (no not the daughter, Kirsty), if you scratched her tummy she laid down and rolled over like a dog.  Knowing she weighed rather a lot and our daughter was using her as a walking frame I was a little worried Kirsty would lie on top of Natasha and squash her.  In the picture below you can see Kirsty with me holding Natasha as a new baby on her back.


Now onto my project which of course features a pig.  The digi was created by Stitchy of StitchyBear Digital Outlet called '3 Little Pigs'.  As the name suggests there are three pigs in this set of which I have only used one.  After many ideas on what to create with this fab digi I settled on the text 'Pig Out' and built the project around that.  So, I have created a bag with Pig Out and the digi on the front and covered three bars of chocolate with Pig Out wrappers to go inside the bag.



Ahhhhh - such a cute wee bee, this is a new die I got and I just had to used.  The die is by Elizabeth Craft Designs called 'Bees'.

Ingredients:-
  • Card blank from Hobby Craft
  • Digi - '3 Little Pigs' by Stitchy of StitchyBear Digital Outlet
  • Brown and checked DP's designed by me.  The third paper uses the digi by Stitchy which I tiled.
  • Dies - Cottage Cuts 'Bella Leafy Branch', Elizabeth Craft Designs 'Bees' and Sizzix Susan's Garden 'Mini Daisy'
  • Chocolate from Tesco <g>
  • Spectrum Noirs - True Black, Blender, BP2, BT4, BT7, CG1, CG2, CT2, DG3, DR5, GB5,  PL1, PP5, TB2
I would like to enter this project into the following challenges:-

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that is a fantastic project and I enjoyed your Piggy Tale about Kirsty :-) I LUV pigs too and my friends used to have Pot Bellied piggies. As you say - so cute and very intelligent :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this has worked brilliantly and is lovely to see the finished project. I had such fun hearing you develop the ideas after you'd selected the stamp for the challenge. The bee die is very cute and I imagine will feature regularly on future cards. (That was another fun afternoon together, choosing your new dies to take back to Saudi with you :-) ) Whilst I was reading your story about Kirst I was thinking how nice it would be if you posted a photograph of her enjoying your family life .... and lo and behold, you did just that. Mind you, I'm not sure how impressed Natasha will be :-) Now, one final question, who was the eventual recipient of your 'Pig Out' goody bag? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely project and beautifully done. The story was beautifully told too. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous project - the pigs are so sweet! You've made a wonderful gift too - so much more interesting than just some sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! how gorgeous is that, just love the pig.

    What a lovely story and beautifully told. Lucky Kirsty and i agree, pigs are very intelligent animals.

    Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog, they're always a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi I love your project and the story is hilarious! What a fantastic visual. The photo is priceless. Your coloring and design are fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Digi Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great personal story Mimi - I love it! Your pig project is wonderful, thanks so much for sharing the story and your project with us at Digi Haven for our Animal Challenge - Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mum, that is amazing........can i remind you it's y birthday rather soon!!!
    seriously though you have done a fantastic job in creating what i am sure will be a loved product.
    I am immensely proud of all that you have accomplished.
    Love you :-)
    Your wonderful daughter - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Mimi:

    Your Pig Out set for our Challenge #42 - "Anything But a Card" is so wonderful--I love it and chocolate too---yum.

    We hope to see your beautiful work in all our challenges at Simply Create Too.

    Diane
    Simply Create Too Design Team Member
    http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous project and those flowers are just wonderful. Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
    Hugs Sue w.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Mimi what a super cute pig and fabulous goodie bag!! LOVE LOVE it. Thank you for joining us over at Decorate to Celebrate!!
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely project thanks for sharing with us (and your piggy tale!) at Simply Create Too, Lynne DT xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi